John, bishop of York, founded a monastery on the site where Beverley Minster stands. He died in 721 and his body was buried in a chapel of the Saxon church. He was canonised in 1037 and the present church was built around his tomb. Building work began in 1220 and was completed in 1425. Throughout the Middle Ages miracles which took place at his tomb attracted pilgrims from far and wide. Today the church is still a place of pilgrimage for visitors. It also continues to be a place of prayer and worship at the heart of the community.
FREE entry Mon
Parish Centre, 38 Highgate, Beverley , HU17 0DN
Follow the tourist signs. Satnav HU17 0DP. 10 minutes from bus station and 5 minutes from railway station