Warning: getimagesize(/var/vhosts/multisite/app/assets/storage/CLIENTS Q-U/Sea Life Scarborough/n85f15e42016_sealife_octopus_landscape_aw-1478181726.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/vhosts/multisite/system/classes/core/Other/Page.class.php on line 61 Scarborough - Queen of the Yorkshire Coast - Go Yorkshire
Yorkshire’s largest coastal resort has all the ingredients for a traditional seaside holiday. While Scarborough may be a town of two bays there is no doubt that it provides a whole colourful seaside experience. From the vast sandy beach, to the Knickerbocker glories and Michelin recommended restaurants, a visit to the town referred to as “Queen of the Yorkshire Coast” will definitely be worth your while.
With two stunning blue flag beaches, top attractions and three theatres attracting top acts and shows, Scarborough has it all. The pedestrianised shopping street offers major high street shops, intermingled with quirky backstreets that are home to unique boutiques and gift shops, perfect for special gifts to take home with you.
Relive childhood memories eating fish and chips along the promenade or take a ride on one of the restored fairground rides at the Scarborough Fair Collection. Leave the car behind and take a ride on the North Bay Railway through beautiful Peasholme Park to the Scarborough Sea Life Sanctuary where you will discover a magical underwater world of amazing creatures.
Scarborough is a great holiday destination for all the family, whatever your age; there is something to interest each generation. The wide sandy beaches are great for games, perhaps a family cricket match, or a ride on a donkey for the little ones. Why not build a sandcastle with the kids and in the holidays there are lots of organised beach activities to keep them happy whilst you relax. Join a guided walk and discover where dinosaurs once roamed and learn about life along the shores. When you have had enough of the beach, there is a Sky Trial Adventure in Peasholme Park, crazy golf, or enjoy a delicious ice cream. Grandma and Grandpa are not forgotten either. With a beautiful walk and seats overlooking South Bay, this is a grand view, especially on a clear day, and a tranquil spot above the bustling town. Perhaps enjoy a game of bingo in one of the grand hotels that line the front, or dance the afternoon away at a tea dance at Scarborough Fair!
High above the town lies Scarborough Castle. The castle is the only place in the town where you can enjoy fantastic views of both the north and south bays of Scarborough.
Take a stroll around the perimeter of this sixteen-acre site and spread a blanket on the headland grass, a perfect place to relax with the family.
If speed and adrenaline are your thing, you’ll love the four state-of-the-art slides at Alpamare, a waterpark like no other!
Discover fantastic live events at the Scarborough Open Air Theatre. They've hosted fantastic artists including Elton John, Status Quo and many more.With a large calendar of events there is always something happening!
An Ideal base to explore more……..
• Robin Hood’s Bay – A jumble of white washed cottages tumbling down the steep hill. This pretty fishing village is another ‘not to be missed’ hotspot. Pedestrian only, park your car at the top of the village and walk down the cobbled street to the harbour below.
• Escape the crowds and enjoy the wide sandy beaches of Filey and Cayton Bay
• Take a boat trip or learn to surf
• Cycle in Dalby Forest or along the coastal cycle path from Scarborough to Whitby
• The North Bay Railway which runs from the beautiful Peasholme Park to North Bay and the Sea Life Centre is an enjoyable trip and make sure you visit the award winning café for one of their delicious homemade teas.
• There are four theatres in the town but the most famous is the Stephen Joseph Theatre, the home of the famous playwright Alan Ayckbourn, the perfect place to take in a bit of culture after a busy day in the town.
• For the animal lovers and thrill seekers amongst us, award winning Flamingo Land near Malton is a must. As well as the famous theme park, there are over 140 species of reptiles, mammals and birds to visit. From the plains of Africa, though immersive wallaby and lemur walkthrough enclosures, to the wonders of the UK’s largest penguin pool, Penguin Coast, it will delight every animal lover.
If you are looking for white knuckle thrills, there is a sensational collection of 8 extreme rides, including the latest roller coaster Hero that puts visitors in a superhero flying position before swooping them around a track!
Not for the faint hearted!
• The Scarborough Fair Collection hosts a magnificent working collection of Vintage Cars, Steam Engines, Vintage Fairground Rides and Mechanical Organs topped off with a 'Mighty' Wurlitzer Organ in their spacious ballroom
• Located on the North Bay of the main headland, within 3 iconic triangular buildings, Sea Life Scarborough offers a unique mix of indoor and outdoor exhibits and over 50 displays of marine life including seals, otters and penguins.
• Escape to the great outdoors of the North York Moors.
It is a special place, forged by nature, shaped over generations – where peace and beauty rub shoulders with a rich history and a warm welcome