With the May Bank Holiday upon us here are 7 ideas of what is happening in Yorkshire this half term.
1. Harlow Carr the RHS’s most northerly garden is offering Children workshops to encourage them to get set and grow their own garden. They can enjoy a daily garden trail, storytelling with the Garden Detectives, indoor crafts and lots more – activities vary daily.
2. Visitors to Lightwater Valley near Ripon in North Yorkshire can enjoy lots of family fun rides and entertainment from Saturday 25th May – Sunday 2nd June. You will be amazed at the mighty Bubble Max, the master bubbleologist, who creates bubbles as tiny as ants and as giant as elephants during his shows at the park from Saturday 25th – Friday 31st May. There are two shows daily which are included as part of the admission to the park.
If that is not enough, Riggmoor Farm will be at the park all week with their animals. Children can pet lambs, calves, donkeys, an alpaca, rabbits, chicks and chickens and pygmy goats. In the Show Barn a brand new UV Magic Lights ‘Outer Space’ puppet show is performing twice a day throughout the week. With over 35 rides and attractions, suitable for all ages, Lightwater Valley offers fantastic adventures for all the family.
4. For a day of Unicorn magic and roarsome time searching for Dinosaur footprints, head over to Mother Shipton’s Cave at Knaresborough where Unicorns and Dinosaurs have taken up residence, follow the adventure trail and you never know what you might find! See the Petrifying Well and Mother Shipton’s Cave. The park has scenic picnic areas alongside the popular River Nidd, an adventure playground, gift shop and museum. For discounted tickets book online.
5. Heading for the coast then this is the best time of the year to take a cruise from Flamborough Head to see the puffins that nest along the cliffs. It is a memorable experience for all the family and as well as the puffins you can see all types of seabirds including gannets, gulls and cormorants that nest high up in the nooks and crannies of the dramatic cliffs .
6. The Cleveland Way celebrates its 50th anniversary this year with a series of organised walks along the route this week from 25-27 May. As the walks are linear there will be a mini- bus to transport you back to your car. Booking is essential and some are already fully booked so be quick if this appeals to you.
7. Kirklees Light Railway are offering a day out for Toys between Saturday 25 May and Sunday 2 June 2019. If your child brings along their favourite toy then they will receive 50% off a ticket, (but they must be accompanied by a full paying adult.