Twelve Events To Tickle Your Taste Buds Happening in Yorkshire This May
The Tour de Yorkshire and lots more is happening in Yorkshire this May from bike races to medieval re-enactments and Spring Bank Holiday festivities there are some great days out for all the family.
Here are 14 of our favourite days out to whet your appetite!
1. From the 2nd - 5th May what has become an annual event, "Le Tour" will be whizzing through the county somewhere near you and to find out more information check out Tour de Yorkshire.
2. If you prefer a bit of two wheeled culture, then how about visiting the Merchant Adventurer’s Hall for a hilarious cycle based rendition of The Tempest. The all-female cast is the world’s first cycling theatre company called The Handlebards, an environmental theatre group who peddle from venue to venue will their sets, props and costumes they need to perform.
3. History comes to life at the Yorkshire Air Museum on 11th a- 12th May with their Elvington at War Weekend. This year it is the 75th commemoration of D Day called ‘Against The Odds’ and is a re-enactment of D Day with skilled actors telling the story of what is was like on the eve of D Day with the airfield being transformed back to 1944.
4. Join Scarborough Fair on Bank Holiday Monday, the 27th May for a glorious celebration of Strictly with Ollie Knowles and Emilia Swann together with performer Kathie Ryan they will be putting some sparkle on the glitter ball! There promises to be amazing outfits and characters galore!
5. On May 12th gorgeous classic cars can be seen at Burton Agnes Hall. Vintage, Historic and Classic Cars, Motor Cycles, Light Commercial Vehicles, and Vintage Items of Machinery, Old & Vintage items of Nostalgia will be on display at this event, which is a fundraising event in aid of Marie Curie. This year there will also be a series of Musical summer Sundays in the Hall and grounds for visitors to enjoy starting on the 19th May with the Middle 8 Singers.
6. Dive in and enjoy festivities at The Deep. On the 18th & 19th May become a science detective and help the team decide which animals need the most help in the interactive show at 11am, 1pm and 3pm in Endless Ocean and earn your own Rockin' Redlister sticker. Take part in the fun-packed trail around the aquarium, get your face painted in your favourite animal and grab a selfie at the photo station. Then following weekend there is an interactive workshop on sharks where you can learn about these amazing creatures from 25th May – 2nd June.
7. Scampston Hall is hosting the Pickering Game and Country Fair on May the 18TH & 19th this year. This excellent location provides the ideal opportunity to experience all the countryside has to offer – from all the country sports with loads of have-a-go opportunities, to fine foods and animals. All this and lots more, not just for the country sports enthusiast, but all of the family to enjoy throughout the weekend.
8. The award-winning Swaledale Festival – 25th May to 8th June - is an annual celebration of music and arts in the beautiful landscape of the three northernmost Yorkshire Dales - Swaledale, Wensleydale and Arkengarthdale. This year, as always, the Festival offers an eclectic and inspiring mix of world class classical, folk and jazz music, exceptional young artists, entertaining groups, drama, film, dance, art exhibitions, workshops, talks and guided walks in the beautiful Dales landscape. Tickets are available.
9. The keen gardeners amongst you will be thrilled by RHS Harlow Carr’s annual Spring Plant Fair on 5th May. Get inspiration, talk to the experts and browse and buy a range of beautiful spring plants from specialist Plant Heritage nurseries at the RHS Garden Harlow Carr Spring Plant Fair.
10. Spanning over 200 years, Otley Show on Saturday, 18th May, has grown to become one of the most important agricultural shows in the North for livestock and handicraft exhibitors to compete in, including a wide range of competitions for children. It is a great day out for all the family with many attractions and events planned throughout the day.
11. Ingleton’s Overground Underground Festival, May – September,- has grown organically with local communities and individuals working together to put on a diverse range of events. It offers a range of activities that the whole family can enjoy together. Watch or take part. Run, cave, bike, walk, swim, get creative!
12. Malton Food Festival takes place on the 25th and 26th May and is a celebration of the finest Yorkshire produce and cooking. It’s a real family festival so enjoy top family entertainment, live music, kids cookery, vintage fair ground and more. Malton’s huge two-day festival of food and family fun is unmissable!